Vizsla Conformation Show Equipment
- Show Collar - This collar is similar to an obedience choker collar except that it is fabric or light chain. It should fit over the dog’s head but have not more than four inches of play. It should be worn up under the chin and just behind the ears. It should be brown to blend in with your dog. You should remove your dog’s buckle collar so it doesn’t interfere with the show collar. A buckle collar with tags is never worn in the ring.
- Show Lead - This leash is shorter than your obedience leash and should be approximately 30 inches long. You want to give your dog enough lead to gait properly but still keep him near you. A thin leather lead is good because it is easy on the hands.
- Sturdy Shoes - You need sturdy shoes to allow you to walk, turn, run, and stop without tripping or falling.
- Treats or Squeaky Toy - These are great ways to get your dog to look perky for the judge. They are allowed in the conformation ring during a show.
- Chair & Pen or Kennel - If you do enter a show you will see there is a lot of waiting. You will be comfortable in a chair and your dog will feel safe and less stressed in an exercise pen or kennel.
- Cart - You may need a cart to haul your chair and pen/kennel to the set up area.
- Sun Protection & Chair - A hat and sunscreen can be the difference between a good day and a bad one. Make sure your dog has shade too.
- Water - Even though you are not out running in the field, you and your dog will get thirsty. Give small amounts of water to your dog. Don’t feed your dog before training or competition and wait an hour afterwards. This will lessen the chance of stomach torsion.
Conformation Show Rule Guides
Show Equipment & Supplies
- Collars – Item # 23-270-10 & 23-043-12
- Leads – Item # 24-137 & 24-353-24
- Squeak Toys – Item # 26-766
- Towel – Item # 47-035
- Exercise Pen – Item # 16-064-24
- Crate – Item # 15-832-36
- Crate Dolly – Item # 35-079
- Nail Trimmer – Item # 11-056